Chocolate Espresso Donuts!

Thank you for stopping by little island studios, please subscribe by email to follow along in family fun!

After years of going without donuts, I am somewhat obsessed with them now.  I had no idea they were so easy to make!  And I must say...homemade donuts do not even compare with store bought!  Delish!

Ingredients for Donuts:
2 teas baking powder
3 teas cinnamon
1/4 c. Divine cocoa
2 heaping tbs of Espresso powder (I use Williams Sonoma)

1 lg. organic egg
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 c. whole milk
1/4 c. grapeseed oil (with a bit extra for the donut pan)
1/3 c. Stonyfield Greek Yogurt (plain)


Mix your dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
In your mixing bowl add - egg, sugar, oil and Greek yogurt.  
Mix until blended.
Add half your dry ingredients.  Then add 1/2 of the milk.  Mix just until blended.
Add rest of the dry ingredients and the rest of the milk.
Mix just until well blended.

I find it easiest to use a napkin and cover the bottom and sides with grapeseed oil.
Fill the donut openings with your batter and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
Photographing food for me is hard enough and when the kids are around...
well, as you can see...loads of fun! :D

I use Williams Sonoma sprinkles made with natural colors! (orange of course!)
Trader Joe's Organic Powdered Sugar

For the icing:
1 cup of organic powdered sugar
2 heaping tablespoons of Salted Caramel Syrup
1 tablespoon of organic whole milk or half-and-half (add a bit more if needed, you want it thick though)

Stir ingredients together.  Dip and swirl your cooled donuts in.  Add sprinkles and....
Enjoy!


My notes:  
Please use unbrominated flour as it is so much safer and healthier than "regular" flour.  I use King Arthur brands.

Grapeseed oil is so much healthier than canola or vegetable oil.

I use whole milk only - skim and low fat milk usually has added Vitamin A palimate, which is not a real vitamin, but a mirror image.

Divine Chocolate was sent to me by the company.  I absolutely love it because it is fair trade and helps women empower themselves! (and plus...DELISH!)

Whenever possible use organic ingredients, especially dairy ingredients and animal products (eggs).

I am happy to be a Stonyfield Yogurt brand ambassador.  I have bought and supported their company for years though.


Comments

Elizabeth Traub said…
Great pictures. I love donuts.
Elena said…
these donuts look yummy! thank you for the recipe!
Nicki said…
Thanks so much! Enjoy!
Susie Buetow said…
I thought that I had already left a comment on this tasty post but I guess not!!!

Thank you for linking this up in last week's Pinterest Party! You are being featured this week! LOVE your recipe! http://www.susieqtpiescafe.com/2013/08/6-fall-desserts-and-pinterest-party.html

xoxo SusieQTpies
Jamie said…
All you have to do is say coffee (or espresso) and chocolate together, and I'm on board! I think I need to find a donut pan! Yum!
Rose-Marie said…
this is the best recipe I've seen ever for donuts! and healthy, too. I was looking for unbromated flour at whole foods, I wasn't sure what brand to look for, nobody there knew what I was asking about - now I know what brand to get!