Buttermilk Waffles & Wild Blueberry Compote!

Thank you for stopping by little island studios, please subscribe by email to follow along in family fun!

It's my birthday month and I'll have waffles with amazing wild blueberry compote, please!  For me, brunch is everything - lazy mornings, where every one is home, the music is on and everyone is still in their jimmies, in no hurry.

And honestly, mornings where my husband makes the coffee for me, while I snuggle with a blankie or I'm still upstairs and he brings it up to me before I've even had a chance to come down...theses are simply the best mornings!

We have a deal - he makes the waffles (and coffee) and I make the compote and homemade orange citrus juices.  These are our basic buttermilk waffles and the wild blueberry compote is simple, yet delectable!  

Ingredients - 

Oat or Rice Organic Flour - 1 cup
Baking Powder - 1 teas
Vanilla - real vanilla - 2 teas
Ceylon Cinnamon - 1 generous teas

Buttermilk - 1 cup
Pasture Raised Eggs - 1
Sugar - coconut, brown, muscovado or maple - 2 tbs
Coconut Oil - Unrefined - 2 tablespoons (plus more for waffle iron!)

Top with grassfed butter (we use Kerrygold)

Mix ingredients well.
Heat waffle iron and add extra coconut oil, as needed.  We have used all kinds of different oils for the waffles and coconut oil is by far the best for waffles!


Wild Blueberry Compote

- 1 cup of frozen wild blueberries
1/2 tbs - sugar - I use coconut sugar or maple sugar 
1.5 teas of Ceylon Cinnamon
Nutmeg - a dash
Juice of one organic orange (use the zest for topping)
(And yes, if you want you can use orange juice, like Uncle Matts brand)

 This really is the simplest recipe.  Just heat the blueberries - cook slowly.  You can drain some of the liquid, if it's too much.  Add in your juice, cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg.  Taste and tweak.

The homemade whipped cream....oh the utter deliciousness~! 

When I make homemade whipped cream for these waffles that are already topped with compote, I only use a tiny bit of sugar.  Mix the cream on high and add a touch of sugar and dash of cinnamon, if desired.  Taste and tweak.

Homemade buttermilk waffles topped with wild blueberry compote, grass fed butter, homemade whipped cream and fair trade coffee - happy morning, indeed!

What makes your mornings special?


My Notes:

If you read often, you already know - Food Matters!

We add in Garden of Life's protein powder on a regular basis to the waffle mix for extra nutrients!

I choose organic, fair trade and always non-GMO foods.

And yes, I'm slightly obsessed with Staub and the grey is simply eloquent! 

for food, fun, travel and family!



Comments